The 10 Character Traits
1. Be Honest. Tell the truth; be sincere; don’t mislead or withhold key information in relationships of trust; don’t steal.
2. Demonstrate integrity. Stand up for your beliefs about right and wrong; be your best self; resist social pressure to do wrong.
3. Keep promises. Keep your word and honor your commitments; pay your debts and return what you borrow.
4. Be loyal. Stand by family, friends, employers, community and country; don’t talk about people behind their backs.
5. Be responsible. Think before you act; consider consequences; be accountable and “take your medicine.”
6. Pursue excellence. Do your best with what you have; don’t quit easily.
7. Be kind and caring. Show you care through generosity and compassion; don’t be selfish or mean.
8. Treat all people with respect. Be courteous and polite; judge all people on their merits; be tolerant, appreciative and accepting of individual differences.
9. Be fair. Treat all people fairly; be open-minded; listen to others and try to understand what they are saying and feeling.
10. Be a good citizen. Obey the law and respect authority; vote, volunteer your efforts; protect the environment.
These principles are also an excellent basis for developing a Personal Value System. As mentioned, you cannot go wrong by using them to guide your actions.
These character traits also facilitate the development of solid friendships, good careers and just as importantly, they establish an excellent foundation for success in life.